I made this easy, vegetarian taco dip a few weeks ago for a friend when they came over to swim. It was gone quick!
I know there are a lot of taco dips out there and that it’s not anything “new”. However, I like this one because it’s so easy and comes together quickly. Plus, it doesn’t have any beef or beans, which means my kids will eat it too (they don’t like beans) and vegetarians can enjoy it.
Easy Appetizer Recipes
I love having people over, especially in the summer! Besides typically putting together a big Charcuterie Board, I like making an easy appetizer to enjoy.
Since the goal of the Mediterranean diet is fitting it into all aspects of your life, I make it a goal to create appetizers that follow some of the Mediterranean Diet Guidelines.
- Including fruit and vegetables whenever possible
- Keeping saturated fat and added sugars to a minimum
- Herbs and spices for seasoning
- Adding nuts and seeds when appropriate
How this Vegetarian Taco Dip fits into the Mediterranean Diet
One of our goal is always to show how even your favorite dishes can be slightly altered to be more Mediterranean diet inspired.
This vegetarian taco dip isn’t a traditional Mediterranean recipe by any means. It also isn’t an authentic taco dip in my opinion either. However, I like it and find that it kind of fits into both categories.
- I used greek yogurt in place of sour cream
- it’s lower in calories and saturated fat than sour cream
- greek yogurt is a bit higher in protein as well
- For seasoning, I used this Siete Mild Taco Seasoning
- it’s grain free, gluten free, dairy free, soy free and vegan
- there are no preservatives added
- the ingredients are real foods
- I skipped the beef
- A lot of taco dips contain ground beef
- No meat was added to keep it vegetarian and lower in saturated fat
- Pile on the veggies
- shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, green onions and olives add all the flavor you need
- you could customize your dip as well – jalapeños, red onion, bell peppers would all be great additions
The Easiest Vegetarian Taco Dip
This is the easiest, vegetarian taco dip that uses greek yogurt and fresh veggies to create a delicious, summer appetizer.
Greek yogurt, plain
Whipped Cream Cheese, room temperature
Siete Mild Taco Seasoning
Cheddar cheese, shredded
Cherry tomatoes, chopped
Green onions, sliced (green and white parts)
- Tortilla Chips, Pita Chips or Sliced Veggies for dipping
In a medium bowl, combine greek yogurt and (room temperature) cream cheese, add taco seasoning and mix well to combine
Spread greek yogurt mixture into shallow serving bowl/dish
Top with shredded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, green onions and olives
Cover and place in fridge until ready to serve
Note – recommend letting the yogurt, cream cheese and taco seasoning sit in the fridge at least 30 minutes before serving (if not longer) to really let the flavors combine.
(Visited 13 times, 4 visits today)
Last modified: June 23, 2022