Sleep is the golden chain that ties overall health and our bodies collectively.
~ Thomas Dekker
Slumber: the crucial pillar of health is neglected by quite a few of us…. continually drained, puffy eyes and palms holding a cup loaded with caffeine is a widespread image of this modern day era. Slumber kind all around one- 3rd of human lifestyle, so the shut-eye need to be doing some restoration get the job done which increases mind and overall body health.
What Is Circadian Rhythm
it is 24 -hrs organic clock which regulate our sleeping sample along with other very important functions like feeding , hormones production and human body temperature. Commonly this rhythm rises in early morning time results in wakefullness and alertness, with the onset of darkness it dropped down to the most affordable amount and assists in sleeping.
Effects Of Slumber Deprivation On Our Wellbeing
Good slumber is as essential as eating a wholesome diet. Our entire body wants excellent sleep for sustaining brain well being, temper stabilization and to struggle towards ailments. The expense of sacrificing rest is incredibly large, deficiency of slumber and disturbed slumber sample are joined with wellness difficulties like weight problems, melancholy, greater threat of diabetic issues and hypertension. Slumber deficiency does have a negative influence on operate functionality.
- Slumber deprivation and Physical wellbeing there is a expanding entire body of proof that rest deprivation is linked with hypertension, coronary heart ailments (CHD), and diabetic issues mellitus(DM). Improved sympathetic anxious procedure action is regarded as to serve as prevalent pathophysiology in rest deprivation’s interactions with these conditions.
- Very poor slumber and Being overweight The vast majority of studies discovered constructive affiliation between limited slumber (<6 hrs/night) and obesity. Sleep deprivation is associated with altered metabolic and endocrine mechanism resulting in increased appetite and late-night cravings. Moreover, insufficient sleep makes you tired and less active, over time reduced physical activity may cause weight gain and obesity.
- Poor sleep and Depression Lack of sleep or disturbed sleep pattern has a direct link with psychological issues like depression and anxiety and suicide. Sleep deprivation causes decreased production of serotonin, a mood regulator chemical produced by our brain. Reduced level of serotonin causes depression and anxiety.
- Poor sleep and work life: Short duration sleep may have a negative impact on a person’s work life. Poor sleep can impair people creative capacities and reduces motivation to learn and generate new ideas.
How Much Sleep Do We Really Need?
Although there is no perfect sleep number to fit each individual, National sleep foundation published a report updating sleep recommendation for all ages.
How To Improve Sleep Hygiene
- Food and drink Avoid eating foods that are spicy and fatty as they are tough for the stomach and may disturb sleep. Timing of meal is also an important factor for having a good sleep. Avoid excessive consumption of alcohol and caffeine before going to bed.
- Day light exposure it is reported by some studies that daylight helps keep our circadian rhythm healthy.
- Regular physical activity According to National sleep foundation, people who exercise regularly have better sleep than those who do not. Some other studies suggested that exercise increases body temperature and increases production of Adenosine a chemical which causes drowsiness and improves circadian rhythm.
- Maintaining good sleeping habits Avoid day time sleep, stop using elecronic gadgets (cell phones, laptops, tv) 30 minutes before going to bed. Smartphone light distrub production of Melatonin a chemical produced by our brain, which plays a vital role in regulating sleep-wake cycles.
- Make a regular sleep cycle: Regular sleep pattern may also help in improving sleep quality and duration. Waking up and going to the bed at the same times each day improves our wakeup/sleep cycle.
- Bedroom environment Minimize noises, external light exposure. Try to make your sleeping environment quiet, relaxing and clean.
- Clear your mind before going to bed Several relaxing techniques like meditation, reading a book and relaxing massage may improve sleep quality and duration.
Sleep is the third pillar of a healthy life and good sleep is important for our physical and mental health. Everyone has occasional disturbed sleep but if you are struggling with lack of sleep for prolong period, contact your doctor for identifying and treating any underlying cause.
Happiness in simplicity can be achieved with a flexible mindset and nine hours of sleep each night.”